By Eating Proper Nutrition Grow Taller
We must eat to live, not live to eat
Children are often told by their parents: “You have to eat everything on your plate if you want to grow big and strong!”. This sentence has some basis of truth in it. Food does influence your growth.
Your can find hundreds of books that teach the subject of nutrition in depth. But in this chapter, I will limit myself to the main substances necessary for growth: The proteins , vitamins and minerals. It would be wise to note that the last word on nutrition has not yet been written.
1. Elements Which Help You Grow
>Proteins are essential for growth because it is required for cartilage tissues and bones. Proteins are a nutritious substance, composed of twenty-two (22) amino acids. Fourteen (14) of these produced by our own organism. The others must be supplied SIMULTANEOUSLY to our body. Here is the list of some of them:
- Tryptophane (considered to be a soporific or sleep inducing)
SOURCES FOR CALCIUM:
Apricots, celery, lemon, cabbage, endives, spinach, figs, halibut. Cheese, sweet-lime, blackberries, onions, oranges, prunes, radishes, salmon, bran, yoghurt, etc.
PHOSPHORUS is necessary for bones.
SOURCES FOR PHOSPHORUS:
Garlic, lamb, almonds, asparagus, carrots, celery, cereals, mushrooms, crustaceans, cabbage, cucumbers, squash, spinach, figs, cheese, wheat germ, milk, corn, turnips, nuts, eggs, onions, parsnips, leeks, peas, fish, prunes, raisins, bran, tomatoes, etc.
IRON helps you to grow
SOURCES FOR IRON:
Apricots, almonds, asparagus, beets, wheat, cereals, cabbage, watercress, dates, spinach, strawberries, lettuce, lentils, molasses, potatoes, blackberries, hazel-nuts, eggs, onions, parsley, prunes, currants, roast veal, tomatoes, etc.
COPPER develops your bones
SOURCES FOR COPPER:
Banana’s whole cereals, mushrooms, dates, eggs, etc.
MAGNESIUM is another necessary mineral for growth
SOURCES FOR MAGNESIUM:
Almonds, banana’s, beets, carrots, cerely, mushrooms, cabbage, dates, spinach, black figs, raspberries, roquefort cheese, wheat germ, green beans, milk, lettuce, corn, honey, onions, oranges, grapefruit, , peaches, dandelions, pears, pollen, prunes, apples, radishes, dried raisins, greens, etc.
ZINC also influences growth.
SOURCES FOR ZINC:
Garlic, pineapple, asparagus, bananas, carrots, cabbage, cucumbers, spinach, figs, strawberries, wheat germ, green beans, eggs, lettuce, beer yeast (barm), turnips, nuts, oranges, prunes, radishes, tomatoes, etc.
IODINE is needed for the thyroid gland.
SOURCES FOR IODINE:
Sea-weed, pineapple, asparagus, carrots, mushrooms, cabbage, watercress, crustaceans, spinach, strawberries, lettuce, onions, turnips, potato peelings, peas, fish, radishes, tomatoes, etc.
PROTEINS, VITAMINS, and MINERALS are very important for the development of your body and its good health. Make sure you aren’t missing any.
- Know how to say ‘NO’ to self destructive drugs.
- Know how to say ‘NO’ to intoxicating alcohol
- Know how to say ‘NO’ to poisonous ciggaretters.
Personally, I have never smoked. I became interested in physical culture at the age of twelve, so I read a lot of Ben Weider’s articles, which warned against the use of tobacco. He convinced me never to start smoking . In all honesty, when someone offers me a cigarette, its as if that person were asking me to eat a mouse, or a worm, or a spider…
I believe that factual information about drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes avoid criticism and errors in judgment. Young people especially must be warned and well informed. Donald Pollock, an ex-con, alcoholic and drug addict tells us;
“The biggest crime ever committed against me was that everyone always protected me from the truth”. (From Call Me a Good Theif)
Don’t waste your money or your health on drugs, alcohol or cigarettes. Invest your money on nutritious foods or good quality food supplements.
- - Say ‘YES’ to healthy living.
- - Say ‘YES’ to natural products which provide, health, strength, endurance, energy, and all round well-being.
- - Say ‘YES’ to pollen, sea-weed, wheat germs, etc.
Just as you have to change the oil in your car from time to time, you have to clean out your system too. As time goes by, you’ll get clogged up. Clean yourself out and you’ll be in better shape and you’ll feel unbelievably great because your internal organs will work better.
Consult a nutritionist who can advise you on detoxification. Once or twice a year, you could try the following purgative to really clean out your system:
- - Put two (2) ounces of castor oil in a glass.
- - Add a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda.
- - Dilute with orange juice.
- - Drink
- - Wait twenty-four hours before taking a second and last glass of the same mixture.
- Eat at regular hours. Don’t skip any meal
- Don’t forget to eat breakfast. Always start the day with a substantial but well rounded meal.
- Take the time to taste and to chew your food well.
- Vary your menu
- Avoid pastries, sweets, crisps and soda drinks. Anything that has little or no nutritious value.
- Beware of salt consumption; it can cause hypertension.
- Eat a lot of raw vegetables and fresh juice. Choose whole wheat bread.
- Drink six (6) to eight (8) glasses of water or vegetable juice or sugar-free juice per day. You should also drink milk.
- Eat good quality food supplements every day.
- After each meal you should rest. Don’t start to work or exercise right after.
By respecting this list you will enjoy better health.
To close this chapter, I would say that malnutrition can hinder your growth. It can also bring on major problems such as obesity, anemia and poor digestion.
I invite you all to become interested in the science of nutrition. For further information write for the provincial, state or country.
Feed yourself rationally to increase your height, to be full of energy and to live fuller life.